Working with an interpreter is a unique three-way dynamic scenario: the Deaf person(s), the interpreter(s) and the hearing audience.
As someone who communicates with the use of an interpreter, here are a few simple tips to make your assignment more productive:
- You can now book an interpreter yourself through our easy-to-use booking portal
- Make sure you have complete information for the location of your assignment: name of building, complete address and phone number for the office you are visiting, length of assignment
- Do your best to show up on time
- Advocate for your right to an interpreter and if you are called in early, ask to wait until the interpreter arrives before your appointment, discussion or conversation begins
- Understand the roles and responsibilities of your interpreter, eg. the interpreter is not responsible for giving a summary of the discussion after it is concluded; if there is something you do not understand, ask for that point to be repeated at the time.